Thursday, May 24, 2007

The Night Before

Tomorrow we leave for Sun Valley where I will be running in my first competitive race at the age of 39. As you can see by my picture, some grey has krept in. When I posted a while back, I indicated that I was hoping to increase my endurance for God by competing in this race. This has been a mighty challenge.

I am eager to see how this story plays out. I have battled all kinds of aches and pains throughout my training. A week and a half ago I ran 12 miles as my final long run preparation and fought off calf cramping after 8.5 miles but have been unable to run since as my right calf has remained cramped. I have been limping around the last week trying to figure how to adjust my diet, stretching, massages, menthol lotion, etc. to just be able to actually compete in the race.
I still have no idea if I can run. I do not plan to run until the day of the race...Sunday 9:00AM. I find myself in a strange place. As I have had similar cramping throughout my training, I think I'm better and I go out and make it a couple miles then...Bingo...they lock up and I am D-O-N-E!

So I truly have no idea if I can do it. However, I believe God has a plan for me in this. Don't ask me why or what, but I firmly believe that is the case. I now have nothing to cling to but faith in Him that I will actually be able to start and finish the race. Pretty cool, huh?

I was inspired this past weekend as we attended my cousin's wedding in California. I was talking with my uncle's sister and mentioned to my son that this "lady" was Ms. Portland. She was...in 1980. But she then told a story I had never heard before. I was there in the audience in Portland 27 years ago when she won her crown, but she told us how God told her this was something she was supposed to do. She asked, "Is this really you telling me this God?" and then proceeded to lean on him to lose the necessary weight and learn an almost unlearnable piano piece to ultimately convince the judges. She proudly shared how the Holy Spirit had guided her once the Lord gave her the vision to compete.

I was sitting there captivated with my 1 bum leg. So as I now sit not knowing if I can run, I do know that if I do...it is only through the power of the Holy Spirit and an answer to prayer that I will even start the race.

So tonight, I went on the race website and they had posted my racing bib number...#119. As I sat in the hot tub this evening (remember the bum leg) I wondered, "what is Psalms 119?" Look it up...I'm not sure but it has to be the longest chapter in the Bible...176 verses! The theme according to my wife's study Bible is "God's word is true and wonderful. Stay true to God and his Word no matter how bad the world becomes. Obedience to God's laws is the only way to achieve real happiness."
One verse reminded me of the song I posted a little bit ago My Hope is You, verses 31-32 says, "I hold fast to your statutes, O Lord; do not let me be put to shame. I run in the path of your commands, for you have set my heart free."
I may finish the race but then again I may not even be able to start it...regardless, my hope is in Jesus Christ. I look forward to sharing the "rest of the story" next week. I'll post a picture...hopefully of me drenched in sweat and not one of me sipping a diet coke at the finish line waiting for all those that could run. :)

1 comment:

Lesa said...

You have been in my prayers... :)